The Story of Highlands

Highlands was planted by First Presbyterian Church of Jackson under the leadership of organizing pastor The Rev. Ed Norton.

  • Easter 1993- Highlands’ first worship service
  • May 22, 1994- Highlands is formally organized as part of the Presbyterian Church in America. Forty-seven families sign the church Charter. Original Vision Statement:: “Making the Invisible Kingdom of God Visible”
  • 1994- Began meeting as a congregation at Parkway Pentecostal Church.
  • 1996- Moved to the Home Builders Association building.
  • 1996- Broke ground for construction at 1160 Highland Colony Parkway.
  • 1996- Ed Norton called to Independent Presbyterian Church, Memphis.
  • 1998- The congregation moves into new building on Highland Colony.
  • 1998- The Rev. Darwin Jordan called to Highlands as Senior Pastor. Vision Statement: “Enjoying God and Treasuring People”
  • 2003- The Rev. Ted Mattis called to Highlands as Assistant Pastor New Vision Statement: “…a passion for CHRIST IN ALL OF LIFE ……the hope of CHRIST FOR ALL THE WORLD.”
  • 2004- Darwin Jordan called to Fort Worth Presbyterian Church, Fort Worth, TX.  Ted Mattis called to Independent Presbyterian Church, Memphis.
  • 2005- The Rev. A. Joseph Wheat called from Village Seven Presbyterian Church, Colorado Springs, to become Senior Pastor of Highlands. The Rev. Bob Brunson called from The Church of The Apostles in Atlanta to become Assistant Pastor.
  • 2006- The Rev. Bob Brunson called as Associate Pastor
  • 2009- Highlands celebrates its 15th anniversary as a particular church, and completes construction of additional parking and youth ministry space.
  • 2011 – Highlands calls the Rev. Wilson A. Shirley as Pastor to Students and Families and the Rev. Brad Mercer as Senior Assistant Pastor.
  • 2012 – Highlands calls  the Rev. C. Lee Hutchings as Assistant Pastor.